Saturday 19 June 2010

Review: Beyond the Broken Scars, by December.Eclipse

So, I don't know if I'm the only one who hated New Moon - well, not the whole book per se, but the whole breaking-up drama that surrounded Edward's departure from Forks.

(No, I'm not tearing up - there's just something in my eye, that's all.)

The trauma of that scene might be the reason why I love New Moon AU fics, and this one in particular. At the start of the story, Bella is now attending MIT University for her undergrad. She's pretty much given up on love and any type of relationships and buries herself in studying...until a mysterious guest arrives.

*cue dramatic music*

"The new Professor seems to be one of those uber rich ones and did you see the car, a Mercedes Benz S55 AMG," a sandy haired guy said loudly to his neighbor.

I frowned slightly as I sat down in one of the main front seats. Charlotte was already organizing her notebook and pens in an almost overzealous manner.

"Have you been spreading rumors about the new guy? Everyone seems to be talking about him," I asked, bemused.

"I have better things to do than gossip about mystery lecturers." she replied tucking a stray strand of her hair behind her ear. "But you have to admit that it is very odd for everyone to be talking about him."

"How do we know it is a him, it could be a her." I said folding my arms and leaning back in my chair. A short dirty blond haired girl I knew vaguely to be called Sophie snorted with laughter and shook her head as she sat down on my other side.

"Oh its a guy," she said smugly and I couldn't help but be reminded slightly of Jessica Stanley. "Me and my sister saw him in the reception hall, looks more like a model than a teacher." She sighed and gazed out into space. "Hopefully he isnt a total bore like the last one."

I nodded and gave an unconvincing smile before turning to look down at my folder and scan over my notes. My mind toyed over with what I had just heard and I couldnt help but feel slightly nervous. There was something oddly familiar about the whole thing. But i barely had a chance to think about it much. The grey walled room's lighting dimmed slightly and a tall figure dressed in a fitted white shirt and black pants emerged from the side doorway. Charlotte nudged me hard in the ribs and whispered into my ear over the muttering students.

"Please tell me that's him."

"Ouch, calm down it's only a-" I gazed up and squinted slightly to catch a better glimpse, even with his back to us it was obvious that he well-toned and possessed an athletic masculine figure. A sense of familiarity came over me unexpectedly as I cast my eyes over the neatly swept back blonde hair.

No. It couldn't be.

Oh believe me, Bella, it can - and it is.

"Good afternoon, I'm Dr. Carlisle Cullen." The figure turned, smiling, his bone white skin glowing somewhat in the florescent light.

I felt the water bottle slip out of my hand and landed with an echoing thud on the floor. All eyes fell upon me including the golden eyes of Doctor Cullen, his lips twitching slightly as though restraining a smile.

Yes, the doctor is in.

Unfortunately for him, Bella's not that easy to win over.

"A warning would have been nice," I said coolly. "But how did you know I was here?"

Carlisle looked at the floor briefly a slightly sheepish expression on his face, "Alice. She's been keeping an eye on you these past years."

I raised my eyebrows. "Why?

"We do care about you Bella, and even if we left – it was never completely. You're apart of us Bella and we aim to protect our family members even if we are separated." He smiled slightly, keeping his eyes on me now.

And avoid all contact with me for two and a half years.

"What exactly do I need protecting from?" I asked slightly confused.

"We all need protecting Bella, especially in this world."

You can take the vampires away from the girl, but you can't take the girl away from the vampires. Bella's about to learn that firsthand. Things have changed in the vampire world, things that affect both the Cullens and the human that they love. 

I must admit that though this is one of the best Carlisle/Bella fics I've seen so far, there are still some drawbacks. For one thing, Esme's death is a little *too* convenient in clearing the way for Carlisle and Bella's relationship.

Edward's refusal to let go of any hopes of a future with Bella goes beyond the lines of canon and starts to get slightly OOC (and ridiculous). To be honest, I've always been an Edward girl, and villainizing his character in any way is a pretty big no-no in my book.

Other that that, I can't really complain about any of this fic. It's gripping, talented and even managed to make me like a pairing beyond the traditional E/B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment