Monday 12 July 2010

Teasers


So teasers, I know I've been behind, I'm sorry.

Here are the teasers that have been sent in and if you have any, please fill the form in on the top bar and I'll get these up as soon as I can!


"I hated that Abraham and Isaac story. I hated it so much."" I curl up against Leah's side. ""It made me think about Seth, and also my mom too, in a way; how Jake was in love with her first and she had to give him up to be with my dad. When Jake told me they'd been in love, he had that look that meant he was downplaying things, so I think what he felt for her was…like, a really big deal at the time. And my mom must've felt so awful when she couldn't make him happy. Then I was born and Jake, like, forgot she'd ever hurt him. Except that Jake being happy and alive, even, meant my parents had to sacrifice their only daughter. Like, my getting to choose my own husband was the price they had to pay for not feeling guilty about Jake, but they couldn't accept that, obviously. Otherwise why keep secrets from me all that time when it was so hurtful to Jake?""

""I have a few ideas,"" Leah says coldly.

""You mean, they wanted me to be with Jake and also feel like they'd given me a choice? Yeah…I've thought of that,"" I say sadly. ""And yeah…I think that's part of it. Just--I don't think it was as simple as sacrificing me to save Jake's life. They could've tried a lot harder to make me fall for Jake, and they didn't, and that was like risking Jake's life just so I could choose who to be with. It must've seemed like this impossible choice, like when God tells Abraham to kill Isaac and Abraham has to choose between his faith and his son's life. And if he'd chosen to kill Isaac and Isaac had really died…well, no one would want to tell that story, right? People must like the story 'cause it means that things will be okay when they make compromises. That they can make scary promises and the universe will just…admire them enough to not cash in on what they promised. It worked that way for my mom for a long time, Leah; longer than it should have. She told me how she thought she'd lose her mom's respect for marrying my dad so young, and she was also really scared of killing people. Plus, she thought maybe my dad wouldn't like her after the change. None of that happened, though; not even Renee getting mad or disappointed. Being a newborn wasn't that hard for her and things with my dad just got better. I guess…it's kind of hard to blame her for thinking I'd just fall for Jake on my own; that she and my dad didn't have to choose between my freedom and Jake's life."



“Look, I know you're pissed at me, but can you just hear me out?” I asked, painfully aware of how pathetic I was beginning to sound. She jarred to a halt, turning to face me, and I was blown away again by her beauty. That long, silky dark hair, her coat open at the waist to reveal the red dress that hugged every curve, right down to her fuck-me heels. She tucked the coat around her tightly, and I hoped she hadn't caught me ogling her so blatantly.

“Jasper, I'm really not interested,” she hissed. “You can fuck as many whores as you like. I just think that it's a little cheap to start putting the moves on one the second my back's turned.”

I had to admit, that really pissed me off. She was getting it all wrong. But then I thought back to that night, and how it might have looked to her.

“It wasn't like that,” I protested, but that wasn't good enough for Bella. She kept stalking ahead of me down the road, her arms folded, but this time I caught up with her. As I walked beside her, echoing her steps, she deliberately avoided my gaze. We were almost at the bottom of the hill by that point, and it would only be a few minutes before we reached the station. I didn't have long to make my case."


"...He watches blankly as Rose's large suitcases slowly move on the conveyer belt behind the check-in counter. Daddy embraces her, wishes her a pleasant journey, pats him on the back and walks away. They stand alone in the middle of the crowd. They don't speak; they just stand there, drowning in each other's eyes and touching hands, knowing that the second they break the contact they will be no more. He doesn't hear the announcement that her flight is boarding, but Rose whispers ""I've got to go,"" and he takes a deep breath.

""I'll come home for Christmas."" She attempts to smile. ""They can't forbid me to come."" He nods, but something deep inside doesn't believe her.

Their last kiss tastes bitter, their tongues desperately trying to fight against losing each other. They pull away simultaneously, and she steps back, letting go of his hand. Unable to say goodbye out loud, Rose sends him one last look before she turns and walks away, not looking back.

He watches her disappear behind the glass doors and his vision becomes blurred from the tears he doesn't bother to hold back anymore. He stands there, rooted to the spot in the center of the Departures lounge, until someone comes and puts a hand on his shoulder.

"Be a man,"" Daddy tells him softly."


After she calms down, we’re both tired, even though she has only been awake long enough to talk and eat. We both crawl back into bed, and for the first time she lays on my chest before she falls asleep. Usually she does it unconsciously during a bad dream, I assume looking for safety. The courage it takes for her to do this while still awake doesn’t go unnoticed by me.

“Thank you for listening,” she says softly. I don’t answer but take a chance and lean forward planting a soft kiss on the top of her head. I expect her to stiffen or even to move off of me but she doesn’t. Instead she lets out a sigh of relief and kisses my chest through my shirt."

No comments:

Post a Comment